For some time now self-care has been touted as a real must in the modern world. But no doubt even the most skeptical are embracing its virtues as each one of us does our best to cope with the pandemic. With its myriad benefits to the body, mind, heart, and soul, self-care is more important now than ever, and giving in to these simple pleasures makes isolation a more manageable and even delightful experience — while contributing to your survival to boot.
Movement Is Medicine
It’s no secret that regular exercise is an essential aspect of getting and staying healthy, an extension of self-care. For one thing it helps keep you at a healthy weight which in turn allows your body to better fend off and fight diseases including COVID-19. For another physical activity also produces endorphins, the happy hormones that do wonders for your mood.
* You can’t go to the gym, so you get a pass on exercise while on quarantine; you can in fact exercise without leaving home.
* If you have space, find ways to set up your own home gym.
* You don’t have to worry about not having the right gear as common household objects can easily substitute as workout equipment.
* Another option is to make use of online exercise programs in lieu of your regular trainer.
* You can even head out to the great outdoors, as long as you observe social distancing.
* For extra motivation invest in a new fitness watch to precisely measure all your workouts.
You Are What You Eat
At a time when your ability to stay healthy has the potential to spell the difference between life and death, you definitely want to take a closer look at what you’re putting into your body. If you want to stay healthy then you must eat healthy too. And as you take measures to keep your body in peak shape your mind benefits from it as well.
* You still have to make healthy food choices in quarantine.
* This entails choosing food items that are good for the body but also ease depression.
* Of course you can still indulge in delicious desserts as long as you use healthy ingredients and don’t go overboard.
* You can even eat restaurant quality meals you can make yourself.
Self-Care Is Self-Help
We may all be in the same treacherous sea of the COVID-19 pandemic, but how we stay afloat is truly a personal undertaking. Indeed, there’s no one better equipped to help you than you yourself so give yourself the TLC you need at this difficult time.
* Being in quarantine is the best opportunity to establish a regular self care routine.
* Meditation is a wonderful way to keep you grounded and eases stress.
* Of course pampering your body can be an especially pleasurable treat at this time.
* If you find out you have a difficult time getting your day started look for strategies that can help you make the most of your mornings.
Indeed, self-care is more than just a buzzword. In the age of COVID-19, it has become a crucial part of daily life. So give yourself permission to indulge in making your body, heart, mind, and soul feel good. You’ll only have yourself to thank for it.
Written by Stephanie Haywood.
Photo via Pexels.com